The temperature outside is finally cooling down and everyone is slowly getting ready to prepare for the upcoming holiday season. But before we even think about the holidays it’s essential that we embrace the fall. This is such a great time of the year! You can step outside without dealing with the sweltering heat and those pesky bugs are finally starting to retreat.
One of the special things about this time of year is that there are so many ways to engage your senses.
Here are some easy ways to unwind:
- Embrace the sense of touch by spending some time wrapped in a cozy blanket and a pair of fuzzy socks. Sometimes leaving a day open with no planned activities or errands is just what you need.
- Embrace your taste buds with a new fall drink. Most people look forward to pumpkin spice season but there are many other options such as teas, ciders, cocoa mixes, and don’t forget those seasonal desserts.
- Embrace the sense of smell by grabbing a scented candle. Apple, pumpkin, and cinnamon are usually the most popular this time of year.
- Take it all in!! Enjoy the cool breeze and the sights of the leaves changing colors. I’d recommend spending an afternoon at the park.
With the weather cooling off you may find yourself indoors a bit more so don’t be afraid to find a new hobby. There are so many indoor activities that are relaxing and are great ways to bring the family together. Some of my favorites are puzzles, making caramel apples, baking apple pies, and painting pumpkins.
If you truly want to wind down I’d recommend doing absolutely nothing… I know that sounds weird but hear me out. There’s nothing better than relaxing in your pajamas, popping some popcorn, and having a movie marathon. Whether you’re in the mood for spooky, horror, or comedy; there are so many fall family and Halloween-themed movies to choose from.
Lastly, as this is the season of giving thanks one recommendation would be to take some time for self-reflection. Here are a few journal prompts to consider:
- What are you grateful for this year?
- What goals did you complete this year?
- What are your end-of-year goals?
Sometimes life keeps us so busy between family, work, school, and errands that we forget to slow down and make time to relax. Self-care is an important element that we have to make time for and it doesn’t have to be overly complicated. Doing small things can help you feel better and this fall season is the perfect time to do just that.